Many of you have requested the traditional Spinach and Rice dish often found in our Greek homes. We make this warm and nutritious meal in our home weekly, as a great meatless meal. For the rice, I use Uncle Bens converted long-grain rice. Serve this with a crisp green salad and you have a complete dinner. Don’t forget the bread!
For a different version of this dish you may want see my Spinach and Quinoa recipe .
- 3 bunches of fresh spinach, washed, ends trimmed about 2-3 inches
- 1 onion, chopped or 2 leeks, chopped (or both amounts of onions)
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups of water
- 1 chopped fresh tomato, or ½ of (8 oz.) can of tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- In a deep skillet saute, the onions until soft, not browned on medium heat.
- Add the fresh spinach.
- Sprinkle the rice on top.
- Add 2 cups of water, fresh tomato or canned tomato sauce.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to low and simmer for 20 minutes until rice is ready. Keep your eye on the dish, you may need to add a little more water.
- You may need to adjust the taste with more salt and pepper.
In a deep heavy skillet or dutch oven. saute onions until soft, not browned
Sprinkle rice on top of spinach.
Add water, tomato sauce,salt and pepper.
Cover and reduce to a simmer, for about 20 minutes until rice is done.
Check often and stir until most of the juice is gone. You may need to add more water if needed.
© 2010 – 2015, Mary Papoulias-Platis. All rights reserved.