If there is one recipe I make over and over for my family- and it’s easy and so satisfying it’s this one! Simple and so nutritious it can be made into three delicious meals in one preparation. Beans can be transformed into burritos, tostadas and a quick healthy dip with your favorite vegetables. I often make meatless tacos with them for lunch, what could be easier. Whether your watching T.V. or reading a book in the evening, place the beans in a large bowl and soak them overnight. A quick tip: Beans can also be boiled for 5 minutes, removed from the heat and set aside to soak, and cooked later on in the day.
- 2 cups dry pinto beans, soaked
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups minced onion
- 5-6 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp.black pepper
- 1 small green pepper, minced or 1 can green chilis
- Cover the beans in water and soak overnight in a large bowl.
- The next day drain the beans.
- Add the beans and fresh water to cover in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 20-30 until very soft.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet and add onion, garlic, cumin and salt until onions are soft.
- Add the bell pepper or chilis and sauté another 5 minutes. Add pepper to taste.
- Turn heat to low add beans and mix well.
- Mash with a fork or masher and cook for a few minutes.
- Taste for additional cumin, salt, or pepper.
- Serve right away, or store in the refrigerator.
© 2012 – 2013, California Greek Girl. All rights reserved.