Every week I try and roast a chicken for the family dinner, a dish almost every Greek family enjoys. Serving it with the popular pasta orzo (manestra), my family’s favorite, it can also be served with rice, couscous, bulgur, or quinoa – just adjust the cooking time. I buy my free-range organic chicken from a company called Mary’s Chickens in California which our local stores carry on a regular basis. This recipe is easy and can be made in one pot. Serve this with asparagus, broccolli, or a green salad.
- 1 whole chicken 4-6 lbs, cleaned, insides removed
- 5-6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup orzo
- 2 cups water or chicken broth
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash chicken thoroughly with cold water.(remove the bag inside the cavity)
- Place breast side up in a deep baking dish.
- Slowly lift the breast skin careful not to tear it, and stuff the whole cloves inside gently.
- Sprinkle with olive oil, juice of half a lemon oregano, and salt and pepper.
- Place the other half of lemon inside the bird.
- Add ½ cup water to the pan.
- Place in oven at cook for 1-1½ hour, or until internal temperature reaches 140 degrees.
- When done, remove the chicken and place on a platter,cover, and let it rest.
- Adjust your oven to 400 degrees.
- Leaving the juice in the pan, use a spoon or strainer and lift out any bits of fat in the juice.
- Add the water (chicken broth) and tomato sauce, place pan back in the oven and let it come to a boil.
- Pull the pan out slightly and add the orzo, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Place the pan back in the oven , checking it often to stir and add more water if needed.
- Bake until softened for 15-20 minutes.
- Pull the orzo out when little juice remains, once it’s cooled orzo will be nice and thickened.
- Serve with the roasted chicken.
- Orzo can be sprinkled with parmesan or feta cheese.
I can’t live without my enameled Cask Iron Le Creuset baking pan.
You will never need to buy another one. They are perfect for roasting, bakng lasagna, and any casserole.
Easy clean up too!
They come in two sizes on Amazon
8×11 for $135.00
10×15 for $ 209.00
© 2012, California Greek Girl. All rights reserved.