Baklava has gone wild! One of our favorite catering desserts of all times. This combination of bittersweet chocolate baklava with the dates, cinnamon, and walnuts is utterly delicious. The flavors are so rich I serve it alone with a cup of coffee, tea, or a glass of wine.
Makes : 3o ( 2 1/2″ square pieces)
Use a sheet pan for this recipe.
Cut recipe in half for a 1/2 sheet pan.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- 6 cups walnuts
- 12 ozs. bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups pitted dates
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 eggs,slightly beaten
- 2 sticks melted butter for the phyllo
- 1 box of pyhllo dough, thawed
- Place all the ingredients in a small saucepan and boil until sugar is dissolved. About 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Place the walnuts, chopped chocolate, dates, sugar and cinnamon in a food processor and pulse on/off until nut mixture is coarsely chopped.
- Transfer to a medium bowl and add the eggs. Mix well.
- Butter the sheet pan.
- Place ½ pound of the phyllo sheets on the bottom. (about 14 sheets) one by one buttering each layer.
- Add the chocolate-nut mixture.
- Add remaining phyllo, buttering each layer.
- Cut into 2½ ” (or any size you would like), squares or so. Can be cut in diagonals or diamonds too.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degree oven.
- Pour syrup over the baklava immediately.
- Let the baklava cool and serve.
Adapted from 1991 article in Bon-Appetit
© 2011 – 2013, California Greek Girl. All rights reserved.